Monday, February 28, 2011

Send in the Clowns

It was always the harlequin
Remember
The painting on the door
Makes life easier
Smile for us
Put on a show

Behind it
We may have been happy
 I made you smile
And you smiled
Because I told you
To be a clown


It wasn’t right
Be happy
Too much happiness
Short haired, too much power


A little clown you were
I made you cut your hair short
I made you wear that top
And always the shorts you
Had no voice
Having to pull faces
Did you want to?


And you had to sneak to the party
In a skirt
I made you say
That you wanted to be a clown
When you grow up
I don’t ever want to see you sad


The world’s clown
Until it was too hard to smile
Keep the show going
And always
Be the clown

Tried until
You couldn’t stand
 Showed me
The scars inside
The hospital bed
Not a little clown
The clown was not you
And that it had
Been poison
That smile
Show is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment