Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Poplar Forest Fairies


Come down to the forest
You keep pulling my hand
You’re not tired mama
You say,
The fairies will fix you
So we walk to the poplars
From the other side of the ocean
Itching with mosquito bites
Buzzing flies and sweating leaves trodden to pieces
My eyes are aching
And you say
The fairies are here
Can you see them?
They get you a plaster mama
For your eyes
See, much better

I don’t see
Your strings of lights through the trees
Your villages, your castle
Made from snow in the eyeball burning afternoon
The world more real to touch
Than the one you are alive in
The magic in the tall trees
Maybe is too far for me
To  travel with you
I see your face as day fades
Full of the lands beyond the forest
And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment