Monday, February 28, 2011

Sand Castles

My St Francis Bay
I find it the hardest
To not think about
The most visceral one for me
Past too fast
Where smells are too powerful
Strength
Because they show so much


I lived with you, skin prickling happy
The fynbos and the Kromme River
My whole life

Beach routine
That only we knew
And lonely Christmases
Normal love, prayers at sunrise
Breathing in mornings where routine feels right
Now I finally live
By the sea


With a baby and house
My own
And we sit on the rugged cold beach
No bay, not the smells of the sea, not right
And build sand castles


And where there was so much feeling
Waking up joyful
Milo in those small green plastic cups
The smooth chair
Vetkoek on the boat, choice cheese jam or mince
Endless stretches on the water
Christmas carols on the baby beach
Our rock house
Now
I feel nothing
And just want to weep
That some things
Only childhood can create.




No comments:

Post a Comment