Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree

We did our family Christmas tree last night.  Seeing as our furniture will be packed up mid December, and being the Christmas freak that I am, I decided to do the tree early so that we could have that burst of seratonin with the glowing lights in the lounge for a while before all the crazy moving started again.

I was fortunate enough to spend nearly all my holidays in a wonderful house overlooking the bay of beautiful St Francis Bay in the Eastern Cape.  These blissful holidays by the sea and the river, instilled in me a great love of the festive season, from the trees to the cards to the carols to the presents, the whole thing brings back the smell of fynbos and sea spray.  From the cliched scenes in the Christmas cards to the Story Teller special editions, I was, and still am, filled with a feeling of joy in the festive season.  Silly at this age, but there you go.

And I seemed to have passed this on to my children.  Ashlee has taken on the same feeling, she sings carols, and people smile in public when they see her absolute awe at the sight of a tree, or a Santa.  Watching her, I really feel a moment of pride as a mom, which helps in moments when I feel I've done everything wrong, and have failed miserably on the tidying up or daily routine front.  One day I hope to take both my girls to the north, to a place where you really feel the icy air and maybe if you listen carefully, you can hear the jingle bells ringing as the sleigh circumvents the globe.  Long live the depression quelling, feeling like a child again, Christmas feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment