Thursday, February 23, 2012

Human Curtain



I have drawn a veil over the last year
where the sun felt oppressive
a constant unknown skull pressure

I have done this before
I drew a cloth across the nights
at the hospitals
I was blinking, confused
like a bat in the daylight
still in school uniform
the spectator
the keep yourself together big sister
I drew out
across
Milpark, across Tara
and then when medical aids ran dry
in the lost blood
I blocked out the General Casualty
a confusing numbing
the older sister fighting
unseen, to keep her best friend alive
except she didn't know how

I have tried to draw this veil
veils and facecloths have holes
too exposed
I should have made blackouts
putting out the light
that light of the wards
that will never burn out now.


No comments:

Post a Comment