Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sisters stuff

When I found out I was having another little girl, when Ashlee was nearly two and a half, I couldn't believe how history was repeating itself.  I really thought Natalie was a boy because the pregnancy was so different the second time roud, with alot of morning sickness and a little creature that gave me such a hard time, so active in the womb, bouncing around day and night so I figured okay this must be what boys are like. But Natty star was a force to be reckoned with from day one, and I already knew if we were going to have another little girl her name had to be Natalie, the Christmas blessing (naturally) although her birthday is in the middle of October.

Anyway, it was amazing to know that these to girls of mine would be able to be sisters.  I have a sister three years younger, and looking at photo's of the two of them, they remind me so much of my sister and I.  Even the hair is the same, the older one dark blonde, the younger one light blonde.

But having these two made me think of the sister bond in general, sjoe what a dynamic!  The best of times, the worst of times, the soulmate, and the one who can cause you major subconscious issues.....  I know how wonderful it can be to have a partner in crime, an ally whose there with you and understands the family you were both born into.  I see with these two girls, who were not friends to begin with (Ashlee barely acknowledged her sister for the first six months of her existence and spent the next six systematically bullying her), they have now formed a type of working relationship.  Ashlee is both bossy/responsible as well as pretty threatened by her very strong younger sister Natalie.  She only recently starte playing with dolls.  She used to shun them in favour of stuffed animals and tools in the past (real dad's girl), but when she saw Natty playing with a doll she suddenly felt it was necessary to do so herself.  Hats off to the younger sister, leading the way.

And I've been fortunate enough to have a younger sister who also lead the way.  She showed me how to be liberal, cool and interesting, and to this day brings out a different side of me.  If it wasn't for her I would be boring as toast, and hopefully I've given her something to admire.  Long live sisters, everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment