Friday, May 4, 2012

Daily Routine

He keeps the car squeaking clean
polished to perfection like his glasses
and checks the handbreak many times
when he drives
when I was the young child
sitting next to him, hands folded,
relaxed in certainty
everything would be safe
there would be no unexpected mistakes
unafraid, I had the constant reminder of certainty
day by day and strength of knowing
this is what I can expect

I have become that person
with the daily routine
now,
I have the same need to know
that the fuel tank will never be below half full
that there will always be a set time
provision for the week, contingency tinged
these two little children
now
sit in the passenger seats
knowing
that this is what to expect.

2 comments:

  1. "contingency tinged" Marvelling at word magic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing up a storm now that the myth of the golden publishing world has been busted ;)

    ReplyDelete