Monday, May 30, 2011

Farm

I had been strong
 in the throng of weddings
 the friendship circles
book clubs
great careers at attorney’s firms
 the too much sometimes
pulse of Johannesburg
 became too much
I got too nervous
to leave the flat
 lay shaking at night
too much of everything
hearing helicopters
thinking they were coming
To arrest me
 Illegal
 realms of paranoia
 too much
I didn’t know what it was


 mom came on a plane
 I shook until she opened the door
at the flat
we got into the rented car
took some clothes
 a few books
 even they, it seemed, had abandoned me
 bought Woolies food
 drove in the winter afternoon
to the farm
for me to get better
if that can be a phrase used
 describe someone
who had fallen into the abyss
when the centre line cracked open
I fell

 the dogs were there
on the farm
the smell of wood smoke
Saartjie made a fire every night
 I slowly starting to sleep at night
 walked to up near the mountain
behind the house
every afternoon
the five dogs, and me


 never understood faith
until I lost it
until I stood looking at the great Magalies mountain
which I had seen since I was born
 held the blood of ancestors
 Boer War battles

 I said to the mountain
I surrender
 put my trust in you
In the universe
 bring it on
 not frightened
anymore.
on my knees

No comments:

Post a Comment